Below are key details for current 10th graders: scholarship info, MBI, a week at Gilboa, and more.
Details for Reunion Week at Camp August 3-10th:
Everyone from this kvutza (current 10th graders, rising 11th) is invited up to camp this week, regardless of if they attend MBI. We are excited to have a week to bring the whole kvutza back together to reconnect, share experiences, and get excited for a fun year ahead!
- Cost: $950 (Early bird rate of $875 if you register by Sunday April 17th)
- Scholarships: We can provide scholarships! We know that this is an expensive summer if you are also going on MBI and are here to help if you need. When you apply for your Gilboa scholarship for MBI, please take this into account when you request a scholarship amount. If you are not going on MBI but need financial assistance for this program, please email Elana at email@example.com..
Southern California: Families are responsible to drive campers to camp or arrange carpools to camp. There will be buses to the Ontario airport, LA & San Diego on Aug 10th.
Participants from Northern California should book the following flights (you’ll get a $100 travel discount) and we will coordinate rides between the airport and camp. If you need to fly from anywhere other than OAK, please be in touch with Yahli to coordinate (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Aug 3rd: Southwest #3092 OAK-BUR 7:55 AM-9:15 AM
Aug 10th: Southwest #3073 ONT- OAK 3:15 PM – 4:30PM
MBI Registration & Scholarship Info
Register through NFTY in Israel’s website. MBI is listed under their “Camp Trips” as “Habonim Dror North America MBI”.
RootOne Info ($3000 Voucher)
- MBI scholarship & registration info is lower down in this email (important to know: there are still $3000 vouchers available!)
- Thanks to our partnership with NFTY and RootOne, MBI participants are eligible for a $3,000 tuition voucher that brings the cost of the trip down to $5,425 USD.
There are still vouchers available, but they are limited. Register soon to be sure you receive this large discount!
- To claim your voucher, you will need to register for the Habonim Dror North America MBI trip through NFTY in Israel’s website
NFTY will provide a link to registered families where they can claim their voucher directly with RootOne.
- Once you register for MBI and reserve your RootOne voucher, you will receive more information directly from RootOne on how to complete the pre-trip requirements.
To remain eligible to receive your voucher, your teen will need to complete approximately 10 hours of pre-trip programming through RootOne's online platform.
Amy Adina Schulman Fund: This memorial fund is a long-time partner of HDNA programs. Founded in memory of a Habonim Dror alumni, this scholarship fund provides financial aid assistance to participants on Habonim Dror’s Israel programs.
Local federations/community organizations: Both of these Federation scholarships do not have a deadline, but give funds on a rolling basis, so you should apply ASAP!
- LA Federation: https://jewishla.org/program/israel-experience-grants/
- Silicon Valley: Teen Israel trip scholarships are available https://www.jvalley.org/get-connected/scholarship/
HDNA scholarship: Habonim Dror North America has a modest scholarship fund to help participants. Applications due April 18th. Application here!
Synagogues: Many synagogues have scholarship funds to assist Jewish youth in participating in Israel programs. These funds often run out quickly, so reach out to your rabbi/synagogue administrator now!
Gilboa Scholarship: Gilboa has a scholarship fund specifically to support Israel programs. Participants who apply are guaranteed $500, but families who need more assistance can request a larger award. This scholarship is to support campers on their Habonim journey and to nurture our future madatz & madrichimot (counselors). Starting in 11th grade, Gilboa campers become madrichimot in the year-round activities, and then come back to camp as madatz (counselors in training). To receive this scholarship, participants must intend to continue as leaders in the Gilboa community in the future.
To apply: Participants should write 250-500 words about how their Gilboa experience has influenced who they are and how they hope to contribute to Gilboa as leaders in future year-round and summer programs. Please email this to email@example.com., and include in your email if you are requesting additional needs-based scholarship beyond the $500 award. If you are in need of additional funds, you will receive a financial information form to fill out and will be asked to submit copies of your most recent tax return. Deadline to apply is April 15th, 2022.
We hope to see you this summer on MBI, or at Gilboa for a week, or both! If you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.